Have you ever been afraid to speak up and say what you really mean? Are you hesitant about having the tough conversation about money, or how someone is treating you? Alexia Vernon’s passion as a speaking coach is to teach women to speak up, she believes women’s voice matters, how they feel matters. Alexia is the author of Step Into Your Moxie. What inspired Alexia to write her book and how her book goes deeper than teaching effective public speaking and into fostering the relationship with our inner self.
In Alexia’s wise words,
“When you give yourself permission to step up, you give others permission to do the same.”
Things We Talk About:
- Tips on stepping up and having daring conversations for instance, asking for a raise, setting boundaries. These are conversations where you feel if you feel reluctant to speak up.
- Women stepping into their truth and having those endearing conversations.
- How to facilitate stepping into our Moxie.
- Guidance on roleplaying daring conversations beforehand, and enabling ourselves to improve how we communicate our voice.
- Framing conversation about gender sensitive topics in a way that are beneficial to others.
- How do you use your emotions in a way that it empowers your voice, but not something that makes it impossible for people to hear your voice?
- Ways in which to turn your fear into a sensation.
- When it comes to speaking up for ourselves.
- Drawbacks of subsiding our fears and not speaking up.
- How to view your story as a protagonist and not as the victim, and see how could this moment here be something that’s happening for me.
- The importance of storytelling and how they serve our audience and they also serve us.
Questions I Ask:
- How can we realize our voice has a purpose and a mission?
- How can we reframe our conversations?
- How can we overcome the fear of speaking our minds?
- What does stepping into your moxie mean to you?
- How can we effectively communicate our stories and start without waiting for permission?
- How can we ask for a raise or make commentary at work?
Listen to the Episode:
Learn More About Alexia Vernon:
Alexia Vernon is the author of the book, Step into Your Moxie: Amplify Your Voice, Visibility, and Influence in the World. Branded a “Moxie Maven” by President Obama’s White House Office of Public Engagement for her unique and effective approach to women’s empowerment, Alexia Vernon is a sought-after speaking and leadership coach to female (and male) executives, entrepreneurs, media personalities, and change makers who want to spread their ideas, positively impact people’s lives, grow their businesses, and advance their thought leadership. Alexia is the creator of the Spotlight speaking community, and she has supported thousands of speakers through her online trainings, live events, The Spotlight Speaker Accelerator coaching program, and her premier mastermind, the Spotlight Speakers Collective. A renowned women’s empowerment speaker who has committed her life to showing women how to “step into their moxie®”, since winning the Miss Junior America competition as a college freshman, Alexia has delivered transformational keynotes and corporate trainings for Fortune 500 companies, college campuses, professional associations, the United Nations, and she has delivered a TEDx talk on the future of feminism. Alexia has gotten her gab on with media such as CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, Forbes.com, Inc.com, European Business Review, and Women’s Health Magazine. Alexia lives in Las Vegas, Nevada with her partner in business and life, Stephen, and their precocious, wide-eyed daughter. Connect with Alexia online at alexiavernon.com.