What you will learn in this episode:
- Why dieting does NOT fix addictive eating
- Methods of how to correct addictive eating
- How to identify binge eating triggers
- How stress and depression relate to food addiction
- How to remove the scale from the equation
- Why certain foods are highly addictive and what you can do about it
- The TRUE meaning of behind cravings
Questions I Ask:
- When did you know you needed to change your way about dieting?
- I was bulimic and let food control my life, is this what you often see and what steps do you show someone when they are ready to make the change…
- I was reading your post about food serenity and the different types of behaviors around food, can you share more about that?
- Tell us about your own journey recovering from food addiction.
- What is food addiction?
- Why is the medical community biased against food addiction and obesity?
- How have you influenced the medical community in the treatment of obesity management?
- What are the main differences between dieting and treating Food Addiction?
- What is appetite correction?
- How can we manage food cravings?
- What is the Food Addiction Recovery Program?
- What are the biggest barriers to recovering from food addiction?
- Why do residential treatment programs fail addicts?
- Why are the statistics against maintaining weight loss so dismal?
- How are you able to achieve lifelong results through Food Addiction recovery treatment?
Listen to the Episode:
Learn More About Sandra:
Sandra Elia has lived two lives: one as a morbidly obese woman, completely out of control, experiencing paralyzing depression. Food addiction ran her life. Since those difficult days, Sandra has transformed from being morbidly obese, lost over 100 pounds, and kept the weight off for more than 13 years. Research and medical statistics tell us this is nearly impossible to do. Sandra attributes her success to creating a program and meal plan specifically designed for food addiction. She has turned what could have been her greatest downfall into the greatest blessing in her life and has made it her life’s work to help others recover from addictive eating.
As one of the World’s First Certified Food Addiction Counselors, Sandra is a true pioneer in the field of recovery from compulsive overeating, addictive eating and obesity management. She is currently a part of a professional team comprised of medical doctors, addiction doctors, researchers, physiologists and physiatrists on a ground-breaking mission to develop a formal diagnosis of Food Addiction in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM–5). The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) is the handbook used by healthcare professionals in the United States and much of the world as the authoritative guide to the diagnosis of mental disorders. It contains descriptions, symptoms, and other criteria for diagnosing mental disorders. Sandra and her team are striving to educate healthcare providers and offer appropriate assistance to those who suffer with addictive eating.
On her radio show, “Your Daily Diet, A Spiritual Guide to a Healthy Body Size,” Sandra has helped create a community of seekers, open to finding a solution beyond the traditional dieting model, aimed at healing the mind, body and spirit. The content on her show is solution-oriented, offering practical steps and tools, opening new ways of thinking and communicating about nutrition, health and body image. The show is grounded in Sandra’s personal experiences as a recovering food addict. Drawing from 13 years of searching for different paths to holistic wellness, she can testify to the dramatic, sustainable weight loss that is possible when a person radically rethinks and changes their relationship with food. The show broadcasts to a base residential audience of over 1.6 million.
Sandra is a Coaches Training Institute (CTI) Certified Professional Coach, and the Vice Chair for the Canadian Obesity Network (Toronto Chapter). The Canadian Obesity Network was founded by the top obesity doctor in Canada with the mission to be Canada’s authoritative voice on evidence-based approaches for obesity prevention, treatment, and policy. They improve the lives of Canadians affected by obesity through the advancement of anti-discrimination, prevention, and treatment efforts.
Sandra runs Ontario’s only 8-week outpatient Food Addiction Recovery Program, has co-created Canada’s first 28-day residential treatment program, and runs retreats where clients can reclaim their health and lives. Her programs yield tremendous success. Clients report weight loss, reduction in medications and, most importantly, finding neutrality with food.
Connect With Sandra: