You know those events you go to where you just find people who just light you up? That happened at a local event here in Downtown Las Vegas and let me just say I haven’t been this lit up at a networking event in a long time. I met Annie Kim whom I interview for this episode there and immediately felt a connection the minute we chatted so I invited her for breakfast to have some girl chat. Her story is mind-blowing not in a WOW kind of way but a WOW you need to share this all over kind of way! Thankfully, she has a book so she is doing just that. As much as I have traveled and seen sex trafficking and knew of sexual abuse I wasn’t aware of how common it is here in America.
After chatting with Annie, I got enraged but instead of leaving our conversation angry that this is a real thing happening to 1 in 5 women, I started to look at how I could help. Annie does this through teaching art as a form of therapy to children and by sharing her story to the masses. I plan to start volunteering more and teaching some fitness classes to help women empower themselves through movement. I ask you at the end of the episode to think about how you can lend a hand in your community, whatever that looks like for you because that is how we help one another by reaching out.
I hope this episode inspires you as much as it inspired me!
In This Episode You Will Learn:
- The importance of forgiving yourself and how to fill your own cup
- How to overcome your adversities and what that looks like
- How to arrive at a place in your life and begin to heal from your cycle of silence
- How an Ayahuasca ceremony in Peru opened her up to a whole new level and helped her face her deep-rooted emotional seeds
- What it’s like to come from the brink of suicide to a healthy, loving place – well on the other side of pain and despair.
- How expressing your own truth is less about justice and outcomes and more about mending and healing
Some Questions I Ask:
- Your story is one of those stories you can’t imagine, please tell us your story and what brought you to where you are today
- What is the one thing you did to overcome your adversity?
- What does art do for you? What does creating do for you?
- Sexual abuse with women is a real thing, many people don’t realize how much it impacts people, what did this look like for you
- What are some ways we as women can start expressing ourselves more, I feel like so many of us hide behind who we are and how we think people see us
- How can we practice doing this more in our lives
- Let’s talk about your fears…how did you turn these into a driving force
- What is one thing you can tell my listeners to do to help them succeed..
- What types of roadblocks have you come across as a business woman..
- What did you do to alleviate those roadblocks..
- What are some choices that you’ve made that have made you who you are?
- Morning rituals?
- What does Fit, Fierce and Fabulous mean to you..
- How can we get in contact with you..
Listen to the Episode:
Learn More About Annie Nami Kim:
Annie began as an Artist at the age of 6. Her Father is a self-taught Iron Artist from North Korea and her Grandfather is an English Professor and Wood Artist from South Korea. She was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington where she graduated High School at the age of 15. Annie has worked as a CNA, Nationally Certificated Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork Therapist, Model, Spokeswoman, Artist and VIP host for Barry Manilow.
Connect with Annie Kim:
- Her Book: A Beautiful EVOlution: Overcoming Adversity Through Art
- Annie Kim’s Art Gallery Website
- Instagram: @annie.heart.gallery
This episode is brought to you by LOLA- get your first 2-box order for just $9, regularly $18. A savings of 50% at www.trymylola.com/fffpodcast
SO I wanna know…
- How are you going to give back?
- Do you prefer connecting IRL or through the internet?