It’s summertime which means you might start thinking about hitting the gym, watching what you eat a bit and thinking of quick, effective ways to boost your metabolism so it doesn’t have to be so hard to loose that way. You can make the process super duper complicated or you can make it easy so that long term you are always burning fat. I am going to break down three easy tips you can use today to boost your metabolism and get your body furnace fired up!
3 Easy Ways to Boost Your Metabolism
- Resistance Training:You want to implement a resistance training program at least three times a week so your body is building muscle to tone up and in turn burns fat. Did you know for every lb. of muscle you build you can burn anywhere from 30-50 calories extra per day? That adds up quick! Turn your body into a fat burning machine by building muscle. Have a solid program created for you and your goals. If you need a program, I offer custom packages as well as my community The Fit and Fabulous Club which delivers new workout programs every 6 weeks and uses HIIT training for quick, effective workouts. HIIT based High intensity interval training is great for fat burning and toning up that body. If you want to keep up with boosting your metabolism long term, this is the easiest way to have that motivation and commitment.
- Eliminating Foods that Bloat You: Gum chewers, diet soda drinkers and protein bar eaters, listen up. These foods are processed meaning they come from an unnatural source and unfortunately marketers have put terms like gluten free, low carb and 0 calories to entice you to buy.
- Protein Bars: The protein bar you are eating probably has soy lecithin in it or some other natural source that makes it cheaper to produce and holds a shelf life or worse yet it has artificial sweetener to make your taste buds enjoy it more. Take a moment to read the ingredients on these bars, it might shock you! The best bars to buy that I have found are the RX bars and Lara Bars which are great for on the go and full of natural ingredients. Remember these are great snacks to have in your purse if you don’t like jerky, sardines or other non perishable snacks.
- Gum: Gum even the natural kind, bloats you. When you chew your body releases digestive enzymes and if those enzymes aren’t being used your body becomes confused. You are also inhaling a lot of air and chewing quickly which causes your digestive system stress and to fill up with air which in turn bloats you. On top of that, gum usually has artificial sweetener and food coloring which is another bloater! Instead of using gum to curb your cravings try drinking water instead.
- Diet Soda: Even though it is 0 calories, we all know it is a chemical factory of toxic chemicals. The first thing I look into when I read a food diary from a client is how many artificial foods they eat. In a society where 1200 calories is some magic number, diet sodas usually become a daily habit when someone wants something sweet so they reach for a soda to curb that craving. Before you chime in and show me graphs of diet soda not causing any harm, I want to ask you, if diet soda and artificial sweeteners haven’t caused people to gain fat, why is it that 1 in every 3 people is obese? If it was as easy as drinking diet soda, eating low calorie diet bars and eating only 1200 calories, don’t you think everyone would be trim and fit?
Being in tune with your body and understanding what it loves and what it dislikes is key as well. If you follow a program and see results everywhere except your stomach, you might want to look into using supplements (one I love right now is Revive), eating more bone broth, and probiotic/prebiotic rich foods to get those bacterias in your stomach balanced again.
- Reducing The Three S’s: If you experience stress, lack of sleep and eat excess sugars, you may have a slight increase in stomach fat. If you say to yourself, well I sleep six to eight hours a day, stress is normal and I don’t eat candy, I want you to take a deeper look into your diet. Reducing the 3 S’s will help you boost your metabolism and make your body into a fat burning machine.
Ask yourself a few questions:
- Are you eating sugar and not even realizing it?
- Are you just sleeping but not in a deep sleep?
- Are you constantly running around?
- Do you take a second to look around and take deep breathes throughout the day?
- To handle your stress better: Breathe, breathe and breathe some more. I mean like deep anxiety releasing breathes, breathing meditations and taking a moment outside of technology to see you surroundings. Meditation and journaling completely changed my life, reduced my stress and led me to live the life I live today and handle all that comes at me. I have a few posts about breathing techniques, mediation and anxiety, just click the links to dive in and learn more.
- To get deep into your sleep cycle: There is a difference between being asleep and being in deep, deep real sleep where your body’s completely rested and it’s doing what it needs to do. If you have trouble sleeping try some of these tips:
- Journal before you go to bed: Dumping out your to do list, your thoughts, your anger, your happiness, whatever it is you are feeling is key to not staying awake all night and thinking. I love to just dump out whatever comes out, I like to fill my calendar, fill my page and just let go of whatever might keep me up at night on a piece of paper. It is so fulfilling I can’t even explain!
- Turn Off Electronics: This one can be hard to do but scrolling through your Instagram feed before bed isn’t doing you any favors. Instead, grab a book and read something calming or simply close your eyes and state some gratitude for the day. Changing your bed rituals can change the way you sleep.
- To cut out sugar: I always teach my clients to visualize themselves and affirm eating healthy. When you focus on foods that serve you and make you feel amazing and nourish your body, it becomes a lot easier to crowd out the sugar. I use a few techniques to cut down on sugar, one is drinking lots of herbal tea especially after dinner to reprogram that habit of grabbing something sweet. Next is using a tongue scraper if I do eat something with sugar to cut down on craving it more the next day. If you want to learn how to kick the habit, check out this post on how to eliminate sugar and reduce those cravings.
Using these tips will overall help you boost your metabolism and turn your body into a fat burning machine. Imagine having the body you desire always and forever and being in tip top shape!
So I wanna know…
- What diets have you tried in the past?
- Have you ever had your gut tested? What was that like?