Ever wonder why some people fail and some people succeed? Ever think to yourself, WHY is this person who has not as talented as me or as educated as me rising to the top and I am sitting here at the bottom?
I used to be that person. I used to get jealous, envious and would go as far as to come up with the most random excuses I could find to make myself feel better at being comfortable at the bottom. Comfortable complaining, comfortable being and living in fear. This was me until I had a dark deep realization that my life was meant for greater things, that my purpose on earth was to take things up a notch in the health and wellness world and put my own spin on it.
At the end of the day it is all about your mindset..it is all about that mindset shift!
I’m not sure about you, but this month and for most of my clients, this month was a shift. A shift I believe needed to happen for me and those around me. Writing that feels amazing by the way. Being open and honest is one thing I am trying to do more of this year, I have always hid behind my books and knowledge, but this year I feel like you guys need to learn more about me, my stories and my struggles.
One major thing I struggled with was trying to do everything, by everything I mean spreading myself so thin I would work from 5 AM-10 PM non-stop, phone glued to hand, eyes twitching and never stopping to truly breathe in this life I am creating for myself.
My mission is to empower women to move, nourish themselves and balance that all with a business. This post is inspired by some major shifts I made this past month which have led me to have my highest salary month, most relaxed and most fulfilling month ever. The new flow I have going on has made it so I ENJOY my business and let my business work for me instead of me working for it.
These tips work for me, they might not work for you. My one goal with this post is to have you take a look at how you are running your business and make a decision. I meet with female entrepreneurs who complain about time, time always seems to be a struggle and while I get it, I also know that not taking your valued time to cook a nourishing meal and move your body will lead you to the hospital with adrenal fatigue and/or clinical exhaustion. SO NOT worth it!
How to Work Smarter Not Harder Tips:
- The Assessment: This was the hardest one to do for me because I have a schedule, I have my flow and I knew what had to be done day in and day out. What I didn’t realize was that half of the said tasks I was doing, weren’t getting me towards my ultimate end goal. Yes, just because that tactic or trick worked for your best friend doesn’t mean it will work for you. Maybe curating Facebook content every day works well for your best friend but Instagram is where your people are and where you should solely focus. Maybe LIVE’s work really well for you, and that LIVE can turn into 3-5 blog posts that an assistant transcribes for you, for myself LIVE is where its at. I love doing them and I find that my audience loves learning from me in that manner so I will be doing more LIVE’s on Facebook in the future. I am organizing a list of topics as we speak (another tip to come), with a schedule so if you are interested in learning more about a topic, please comment below. The big tip here is to BE honest with yourself, look at your analytics, look at your numbers and get rid of the tasks you dread and aren’t bringing you results so you can put MORE energy into what does work.
- Hourly Rate: Are you working 12 hours a day and bringing home less than what you would if you worked a minimum wage job? Sure, there is a point in your business where you are working for pennies on the hour, but if you have been walking the same line for the last three years without anything to show for it, you need to assess. I took everything I offer from my $10.00 programs to my personal training and figured out where I should be pushing. This was a HUGE awakening to me and one that has cost me months of frustration. When I have clients who complain about time, I ask them how much their time is worth, most people have no idea. You should have a rough number so you understand what to charge for your products and services. Once you have that number you can figure out how many sponsored posts you need, how many clients you need and how many of each product or service you need to sell every month to hit that comfortable number. You might be working less, making more and able to really fit those workout sessions in!
- Don’t Reinvent the Wheel: I am a creative, I love to get in the zone and create. Four years ago I was asked to speak at an event, instead of trying to figure it out myself I hired a coach. It was an investment I didn’t want to make, but one that paid off in the long run. I didn’t have to sit and figure out how to structure my speech, I could ask all those questions that normally would keep me up at night and I walked into my first speaking gig with so much confidence people in the audience thought I had been doing it for years. I know it can be fun to reinvent and put your own twist on things, trust me I truly enjoy being my creative self. If you know someone who has already gone through the process and is where you want to be, ask them some questions. I always ask, “If you could do things differently what would you do?,” and second “If you could offer me some advice to make this process as fun as you make it look, what would it be?” Find that person and ASK, save yourself the time and frustration of trying to figure it out yourself.
- Organize Yourself and Have a Game Plan: My internet bestie Annie Spano of Style Collective, talks about systems all the time. She really instilled this within me and ever since I started taking the last week of the month to plan everything from my workouts, my meals, my content and my strategy for my goals, my life has become EASY! I now have more time for grabbing drinks with my friends, for sushi lunch dates with Mr B (my husband) and have more energy to put into creating more of what I want to create. When you drag yourself down without structure you will never get where you want to go in your business. As a creative, I leave time to be creative and have that time carved out one day a week. I need that freedom, but I also need structure to get what needs to be done completed. If you are a total creative and like to go with the flow, I suggest structuring yourself as much as possible but leaving 1 day out of the week to have free time. That freedom time can be to play catch up, to paint, to dance, to sing or work on another project. For me, that day has been taken for a new project I am working on but this project does not interfere with my to do list for the week. Leave those open spaces for yourself if you need to, there is nothing wrong with that!
- Take Breaks: Legit breaks, like don’t even look at Instagram for two days type breaks. Shocking..trust me when I say, your business isn’t going to fall apart if you don’t check your social channels for a day. For me, taking a break is shopping, dressing up, putting on a Korean face mask (if you follow me on snap @cvbentleyfit you’ve seen these) and grabbing ceviche and a skinny margarita with Mr B. You have to take breaks, you have to step away from your business and play. Some of my best ideas have come from coffee chats with friends or after a night of dancing the night away.
Learning all of this, I want you to think about what your energy sucks are. We all have them whether we are running a business or not. People, activities, TV shows, busy work? These drainers can really take a toll on your health and wellness. Before you answer the question of why you don’t workout, think about what/who is sucking your time away and think about what it would feel like to fill that time with a workout that will energize and make those endorphins flow. This mind shift will shift your life for the better.
- Chillax Draped Tank Jumpsuit from Tobi.com
- Cynthia Rowley 12th Street Faux Fur Similar Here
- Black Sky High Heels from Bebe
- Juliette Cold Shoulder Ribbed Long Sleeve Bodycon Dress from Tobi.Com
- Dolce Vie Camel Bootie with Fur (Old)
- Salvatore Ferragamo Scarf (Vintage)
So I wanna know..
- What stops you from succeeding in your business or leveling up?
- Did you enjoy this post? A little out of my normal topics but something I get asked about often so I thought I would share.