As a girl boss I get the advantages of working out from home. You can literally fit a workout in between social media posts, discovery appointments and content creation. I love having the ability to pick up my kettle bell, swing it and do a HIIT workout in under 20 minutes. This freedom of not having to go to the gym and waste that precious time lets me have more time for ME! As much as I love bodyweight workouts, I have seen quicker results with a few investment pieces which I will share below.
How to Create a Home Gym Using 3 Pieces of Equipment
- Create the Space: You want to make sure you have a lot of space – space that you can use to workout. This space should be specifically for movement and working out. For instance, my home workout area is in a small corner in my office. I have it there so if I get frustrated or need to take a break I step into it instead of the kitchen!
- A Kettlebell:– freaking awesome! With a KB you can do a back workout, leg workout, arm workout, you can do all kinds of things with them. It’s one piece of equipment, it doesn’t take up a lot of space and you can get a full body workout. I use a 10 pound one and if I’m ever frustrated or I’m experiencing writer’s block, I turn on some kick-ass tunes and I start swinging my kettlebell. Doing so, I’m toning my butt, getting my heart rate up and also clearing my mind. I get out of that negative head space and I get rid of all those crazy thoughts by kettlebell swinging. I do it in my little workout area and I do it all the time. Sometimes I’ll do only 5 minutes, but I’m toning my butt at the same time as clearing my head. When people tell me they don’t have time to workout, I know that they totally do. My favorite kettlebell here.
- A JumpRope: As much as I love going outdoors for cardio, I live in Las Vegas where it is EXTREMELY HOT! I love my jump rope because I can bring it with me EVERYWHERE, its lightweight and doesn’t take ANY space! I also love the fact I can drip sweat from just 10 minutes of jump roping and know that I am revving up my metabolism with short bursts of high-intensity movement. I got mine for $10 on Amazon in pink. I completely love this thing – you get a killer workout, you feel like a little kid again, you put on some tunes and you’ve got your workout! My favorite jump rope here.
- A Set of Dumbbells: Dumbbells will help you shape your arms and shoulders. Building muscle will not make you look like a dude! Building muscle actually helps you BURN fat. For every 1 lb of muscle, you build you burn an extra 50 calories a day! YES! For a beginner, doing a side lateral with a kettle bell might be a little too heavy, so investing in a pair of 3-5 lb dumbbells is a great place to start. Grab my favorite pair of dumbbells here.
Where to Buy Your Equipment:
- TJ Maxx/Ross: When I started my personal training business I went to TJ Maxx and set up my kit for less than $30.00! The best part was EVERYTHING was PINK which by the way is my favorite color. Discount stores like TJ Maxx and Ross have an entire section devoted to workout equipment, weight lifting gloves, clothes, and accessories. I always find amazing deals in this section and have to stop myself from buying anything that’s pink!
- Target: I don’t know about you but I am at Target at least once a week. Target also has an entire section dedicated to workout equipment as well as adorable workout clothes. I am a BIG believer in dressing for success so grab some cute outfits while picking up your gear to keep you motivated and active!
- Amazon: For those of you who just never leave the house, Amazon is a great place to find equipment. You can order anything literally on Amazon and can get whatever color combo of kettle bell, dumbbells and jump rope you want. I bought my pink speed rope on here for $10.00!
- Craigslist: When people move they leave behind anything that is heavy. Check your local craigslist for free workout equipment YES FREE. When I was 18 and a gym pass was out of the question, I scored a few sets of dumbbells FREE just by browsing craigslist for people moving. If you have the time, look! You might score an entire setup for free!
Where to Get Workouts:
- I have over seven workout programs included in the Fit and Fabulous Club! To get access to my programs and to join a community check out the club here.
I’m a big believer in having equipment because it takes your workout to the next level, it makes your workout quicker, more effective and also puts you in the tune of working out. You set that space, grab your equipment and you’re ready to work out! There’s no distraction or excuses on weather or time! You just rock it!
So I wanna know..
- Are you a gym bunny or do you like to workout at home?
- Do you have a home gym? What equipment do you already have?