Thank you so much for participating in Ask CC! I picked your question first because I get asked this very same questions pretty often and I bet a lot of my readers will appreciate an answer.
There is a lot of information about pre workout foods, powders and special concoctions that will maximize your workout and give you what you need nutrition wise to power through. I understand that waking up at 4-5 AM to get your workout in is a challenge in itself and then trying to eat breakfast before means waking up even earlier and potentially feeling sick through your workout!
I am going to give you a few ways to get through this bind and since I am unsure of your goals I will write out a few suggestions depending if you are trying to lose weight, build muscle or just want to burn some fat!
When you begin your workout, a thousand biochemical reactions are going on inside of your body. Glycogen is taken from inside of your muscle cells and broken down into glucose which is where is enters into your bloodstream and carries into the mitochondria of the cell. Enzymes come into action and start to break down stored fat into fatty acids and glycerol which is then used to fuel power your exercise. You want to get the most out of your pre workout especially since you will not be eating a meal before hand.
4 Pre Workout AM Suggestions:
Maintaining Body Weight:
- Coconut Water with Matcha Green Tea Powder: I tend to suggest clients sip coconut water pre workout because not only will it be instant hydration the simple sugar carbohydrates will push you during your workout. Do not be alarmed by the natural sugar content of coconut water as this sugar will be broken down promptly during exercise just make sure to push yourself! Drinking coconut water can also prevent you from cramping up if this tends to happen to you during a workout. Hydration is key especially since you have yet to drink water for I hope 6-8 hours! So I LOVE LOVE LLOOOVEE Matcha Green Tea Powder because of its many benefits and I have personally seen the magic of matcha first hand the first time I ever dieted for a video shoot a few years ago. I love the natural energy matcha gives me and this powder has the antioxidant levels of 10 cups of tea.(Check out the recipe below)
- L-carnitine Liquid Supplement: An amino acid, L-carnitine helps your body transport fat into the mitochondria of the cells which is where it can be oxidized and used as fuel. You can use L-carntine everyday but the best time to use it is before intense exercise on an empty stomach. It is also said that L-carnitine increases your aerobic capacity to help you push through your workout and burn more energy, reduces your appetite and will give you more energy throughout the day. (click here to see my favorite brand)
- Matcha Green Tea Powder: The ultimate caffeine buzz and fat loss supplement in my opinion. I love matcha green tea powder and I find that you really don’t need fancy diet pills or illegal diet pills when you have Mother Nature’s Diet Pill in powder form. What I also love about Matcha is its ability to supercharge your workout without that jittery feeling, the level of antioxidant power and it has the ability to combat inflammation and lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
- BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acids): During high intensity exercise your goal is to burn fat and build muscle in order to do that sipping BCAA’s throughout your workout will help your body tap into your fat stores and preserve muscle mass. BCAA’s also increase lean tissue, improve strength, facilitate recovery and speed up muscle repair. (Check out my amino pops recipe for a fun treat to enjoy)
My Favorite Pre Workout:
Green Me Up:
- 5 mL Matcha Green Tea Powder
- 3 drops French Vanilla Stevia
- Ice + 6 oz. Water (If maintaining weight use coconut water)
- Blend in Blender.
- Grass Fed Organic Whey Protein: Notice I put grass fed and organic in front of the most purchased supplement whey protein? The most important thing you can do is make sure that any and all supplements you use are of the best quality! Having a quick 1/2 scoop-1 scoop of protein pre workout will flood your bloodstream with amino acids just when your body needs them most, can help you maintain or even increase muscle size and it is said that amino acids found in high-quality whey protein activate certain cellular mechanisms (mTORC-1), which in turn promote muscle protein synthesis, boost thyroid, and also protect against declining testosterone levels after exercise. (my favorite brand is here)
and with all of these WATER, WATER, WATER, HYDRATION is key!
The number one thing is to not consume fats pre or post workout. When you consume healthy fats your body takes a long time for them to digest and your bodies break down of glycogen will slow down as well as your protein synthesis. l I also want to note that consuming the RIGHT carbohydrates at the right time is the best way to stay on track to fat loss and gaining muscle mass and avoiding carbohydrates is not always your best solution to losing fat.
These are just recommendations, doing what is best for your body is up to you and at the end of the day you understand your body more then anyone else! Experiment and try different things out from the list above, I occasionally love a matcha shake before my workout and it gives me what I need to blast through my workout and other days a bit of BCAA’s and a shot of L-Cartine gives me the results I am looking for. Again, it really is about your goals!
So I wanna know..
- What time do you workout?
- What is your favorite type of workout right now?
- Any questions for future Ask CC articles and who wants to see these made into a Youtube Series?
P.S: If you are looking for a support system and a cheerleader I have a 9 Online Coaching Spots Available! Online Coaching is great for someone looking to have a custom workout and nutrition plan to follow, be held accountable to sticking to it daily and be coached through it without the cost or paying someone to count reps for you! I have three programs one being a jumpstart program great for someone needing to jumpstart a healthy lifestyle, a basic 30 day plan and a customized program all available just check out my coaching page for more details!