This post came as an inspiration to me as I have had a client want to do a photo shoot + she needed some quick fixes to get rid of some stomach bloat. I too had been experiencing some bloat and I was unaware that some of the foods I was eating were causing me more harm than good (ahem dried fruit..) After a few weeks of elimination, no eggs, no wheat, no sugar (I tried..) and trying to find the cause I was finally able to put my finger on what foods besides dried fruit that I was eating that were making me look like I was pregnant. No joke, I could literally watch my stomach fill up looking as if I were magically creating an alien baby or suddenly became 3 months pregnant.
I came to the conclusion..
1. Whenever I ate fruit with skin on it (apples, pears) my stomach would start to grow and
2. I was not taking my probiotic as I had run out and forgot to order more
I also had to cut down on the dried fruit but this was something I have to do anyways in order to get ready for my competition (info here).
Chinese pears happen to be one of my all time favorite fruits, I literally can eat three huge ones in one sitting and be smiling with joy throughout. After learning that the term “organic” in Thailand is not regulated like it is America, I came to the conclusion that although I tried my best to buy organic fruits and vegetables there was a pesticide on the skin which soaked into the fruit that I am allergic too. After learning this I was truly disappointed but at the same time relieved that I am not losing my mind or becoming intolerant to fruit.
Probiotics are essential for digestive health and as I have a weak digestive system, I have to take matters into my own hands and put healthy bacterias back in myself through the use of Probiotics. Although I enjoy a kombucha and kefir water from time to time, I think it was not enough to replace the power of a good probiotic. I personally use Jarrow Formulas (link here, use code LDZ954 to save $) as I can travel with them and not worry about keeping them cold but if you do not travel often make sure to buy one that has to be kept in the cold, these are always the best.
8 Remedies for Stomach Bloat::
But because my stomach was severely bloated I did take some steps and offer these steps to clients who experience any type of bloat and want to get rid of that stomach quickly:
- Skip dried fruits, sugars and fruits with skin: Dried fruits are often loaded with sugar and it can be easy to overload on them since they are so sweet and chewy just like gummy bears. The problem is that because the fruit is “dehydrated” there is no water and this bulk can clog up your back end if you do not drink enough water to help your body process the lack of hydration. Fruits with skin just because for the reason I had above, the pesticides can soak into the skin and be difficult to wash off making your body respond in a “bloating” manner. If you tend to not have problems with skinned fruit go on ahead and enjoy, fruit skin provides you with fiber which is essential for a healthy diet.
- Take a probiotic: Probiotics enhance immunity, reverse gut inflammations, put back the food bacteria that may be lost from GMO’s, polluted environment or antibiotics and provide a healthy gut which is the key to our overall mental and body health. The minute I started taking probiotics everything in my system started to function properly and I started to have energy after eating instead of feeling like I needed to sleep!
- Drink ginger tea: Ginger tea aids in digestion, helps stimulate saliva, bile and gastric juices as well as relieves any gases trapped inside your intestine. Think of ginger as a relaxer going through your system and relieving any inflammation in your gut! I enjoy ginger tea almost everyday especially at night when I am relaxing my way to bed.
- Drink tons of water: The first piece of advice that I give anyone trying to lose weight is to drink tons of water but only in between meals, during a workout and the minute they wake up. Most of the time you crave food you are actually just craving hydration so before you go in for a snack try drinking a glass or two of water and see how you feel after the fact. I also suggest not drinking water during a meal as it dilutes the gastric juices and slows down the process of digestion in the stomach and intestines. Drinking water the minute you wake up adds hydration to your system, starts your day off on the right foot and if you chug down a liter you are already ahead of the 3 liter a day game!
- Slow down your eating: We are in a constant state of “rushing” around and eating on the go but did you know that this could be the reason you are so bloated? When you take the time to predigest aka chew your food, you are not only helping your body digest your food but you are giving your digestive system a chance to release the proper enzymes and prepare your body for the digestive process. Not only will you eat less, you will swallow less air and actually enjoy your meal.
- Stop chewing GUM: I know gum helps with bad breathe, I know every diet book promotes chewing gum to relieve your hunger pains but in all honesty smacking gum is not cute #1 and #2 you are confusing your digestive system. If you have a hard time surviving without gum try brushing your teeth after a meal. It is hard to take a bite after feeling so fresh from the toothpaste!
- Keep meals SIMPLE: Although I am all about the flavor and variety of foods throughout the day sometimes keeping your meals plain and simple will allow your body ease during the digestive process. Food combining also plays a part in simplicity but that is for another blog post. Try to keep meals under five ingredients and use herbs and spices versus salt and sugary sauces.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: (try this shot recipe here) Not only does ACV aid in digestion it also helps clear the pipes. I take a shot everyday and I like to think of it as “drain-o” for my body as it grabs onto the gunk and flushes it right out! Just make sure it is a organic and contains the “mother.” I prefer the Bragg’s brand of ACV!
Now that you have made the decision to start losing weight use these tips to jumpstart your success and if you are looking for more direction and nutrition coaching feel free to contact me or check out my awesome testimonials from clients I have worked with in the past!